United Nations Association of Southern Arizona Brown Bag Speakers Program
International Disaster Relief: Dynamics, Challenges
and New Solutions
Presented by the United Nations Association of Southern Arizona and the Arizona Model UN Club
Saturday, February 8, 2:00 - 4:00 (presentation begins at 2:30)
Place: University of Arizona Student Union,
in the Kiva Auditorium.
Free Parking: Second Street Garage,
1340 E. Second St.
With the the aftermath of hurricanes Haiyan and Sandy, the tsunami in Japan, and the massive earthquake in Haiti, disasters and large scale emergencies are constantly in the news. The need for effective humanitarian aid and disaster relief is increasingly essential. However, viewing relief efforts from afar, it can often been confusing as to who is doing what. In an effort to provide some insight into how international relief and humanitarian aid is delivered, the United Nations of Southern Arizona has assembled a panel to describe their organizations' capabilities, share their personal experiences and talk about new best practices.
- Moderator-Jonathan Levy, UNA-SA Board Member
- Col. Ed Jakes, USAF, will discuss his experiences providing nuclear radiation expertise in planning the Air Force's response to the Fukushima disaster.
- Col. Thomas Schnee, USAF (ret), will discuss his experiences participating in multiple humanitarian/disaster response situations.
- Elissa Maish, International Services, American Red Cross of Southern Arizona will discuss the Red Cross' program to reconnect loved ones following Typhoon Haiyan.
- Dan Coto, Regional Disaster Program Officer, American Red Cross of Southern Arizona, will discuss general disaster planning models.
- Harold Norton, UN Representative to Central and East Africa (ret), will discuss his experiences and the role of the UN during the Rwandan Genocide.
Directions: Second Street Garage is found on the Southwest corner of 2nd St. and Mountain, just south of Speedway. See Parking Maps for details http://www.union.arizona.edu/infodesk/maps/index.php?.
The Union Kiva Auditorium is on the Ground Floor (Second Level) of the Student Union Memorial Center in the Northeast corner. See following map for details https://www.union.arizona.edu/infodesk/maps/SUMCMapHandout.pdf.
Signs and volunteers will be posted around the area to ensure no one gets lost.
Are you new to the Brown Bag Speaker Program?
From September through May, we feature speakers on the third Tuesday of every month. Subjects vary within a wide range of international topics.